Kat Von D Saint & Sinner Palette Review


Ok, so it might look like I am spending a ton, but my last haul was the last month, as it took so long to get here.  I have to address if you have read the blog post before this one, you'll know I am all about the limited edition palettes. When I first saw this palette I have to admit that I didn't really immediately fall in love with the shade selections. The packaging is phenomenal, but the shades I found to be a bit meh as they are not traditionally grouped together to similar tones, and they are a little all over the place. I knew I was going to buy it because I have a thing where the lusting after the limited edition holiday palette by Kat Von D just gets to me. What got me super excited was her swatch video on her youtube (here). The shades have so many different finishes and dimension that it just had me drooling.




The con I feel like for the palette was the release date. They announced the palette and then two weeks later it was coming out. I found the date of the realise strange as well as it was launching on the 19/09. It wasn't so much an inconvenience for me to buy it as I get paid every two weeks, but I can imagine it being hard for people to save money for this if they get paid at the end of the month, and bills going out at that time. Not really a con, just a thought.

Anyway on to the palette. As stated, I really wanted to buy it for the design alone. It's amazing, and living in Wales, surrounded by a lot of old architecture I can really see the effort she has gone into incorporating old gothic window designs into this palette.


I do enjoy the saint side more than the sinner, but there are some colours on the sinner palette that you can incorporate into a saint look. Despite the shades looking a little sporadic, they go together really well, as well as the pops of colour.

The formula of the shadows, which has now been fully converted to being vegan, is great. The mattes are pigmented but quite dry feeling, but I haven't experimented with them with a brush yet. Overall, I am very happy I got this palette.


Saint and the Sinner.


From videos I've seen some have compared the shade Vestment to Mac Blue Brown pigment so I decided to have a looks for myself at some comparisons. My comparisons come first followed by the similar colour found in the saint and sinner palette.

The Yellow Metalic shade called Flash from the Metal Matte Palette is similar to the shade Relic from the saint and sinner. Flash, however, is a little warmer and more orange than Relic but they are a close match.

The Blue Metalic shade is also from the Metal Matte Palette and its called Nebula is very similar to the shade Ministry from the saint and sinner, maybe slightly deeper. I find the shade from the metal matte palette is more pigmented than the shade Ministry, however, that couple because they've changed the formula of this shade for the saint and sinner.

Onto the Mac Blue Brown Vs Vestment shade comparison. As you can see Macs pigment is a lot more reflective whilst Vestment is deeper and has less of a shift. However, I think they are similar so if you want a cruelty-free and vegan alternative, I'd g with Vestment.

Next is something that I thought of after I saw Kat Von Ds swatch video, about the shade Stigmata. If you didn't know a lot of red shades in makeup contain carmine which is derived from beetle extracts, so, therefore, it's not vegan, however, Kat Von D has managed it. The shade Stigmata is 100% vegan and its similar to the shade Swoon from the Better Together Palette collaboration with Too Faced. I am not sure if the shade Swoon is vegan however but they are very similar.


So would I recommend this palette? Yes! Even if you have all the other limited edition Kat Von D palettes, this has something new to offer. The two top shades which are top coats of sorts are super beautiful and all I can think that they are similar to is the Urban Decay Moondust shadows, but the colours are super unique. Kat Von D hand draws the designs herself so it's like buy a piece of art, and as an art lover I will continue to collect her palettes.

Let me know what you think about the palette. Are you going to pick one up? Hope you enjoyed my post, I will do a follow-up once I get a chance to play with it.

Many Thanks x

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

June & July Favorites

Morphe x Jaclyn Hill Palette Review & Swatches

Make Up Forever Starlit Palette. Review & Swatches.