Is University for You?

This post is just my own opinion and advise that may help you if you are planning on going to University. Before hand I would like to state that not every Tutor or University are the same, or have the same principles. This is just my personal experience from three years of higher education on an art based course.

University shouldn't be a place to go, if you don't know what you want to do in life.. 
I know when I left school, I knew I wanted to do something with art but I didn't know how to get my work out there and known so I went to collage to do a foundation degree. This was a one year course that in the end led me to my passion for Illustration. I felt like they let me be free and could work in an environment where nothing that I ever created was wrong. After it was over I was gutted, so I thought that I needed more education, thats why I went to university. This was the wrong reason. I do not need a degree to be successful in my profession. I know that now. If I could go back, I would have told myself to be more confident in my work and just do it, get out there, you don't need a degree.

1. It costs an arm and a leg that you will spend years paying off.

2.At the end of three years, you only get a degree, which is essentially a piece of paper with letters on.

3.All the work you will do at uni, you won't enjoy it. You will do it just to get to the next year, and for what I ask you ?

You do not have control over your own work.
If you create something for a university project, its theirs, not yours. If you feel like your work can have its shinning moment for a client who has interest in it, it won't happen. This unfortunately is how it is.

Only go to University if it will help you on in life... 
I know if I had a passion for Physics a degree in physics will help me along to becoming the greatest physicist ever. However, I'm an illustrator, only by growing my talent and finding my style will I progress. This will not happen if I'm stuck in a room, getting spoon fed negativity about how my work should look like in their eyes.

They will tell you, "You're doing it wrong."
Which in some instances they could be right, but being on an art based course this shouldn't be the case. Whether you are a fine artist, graphic designer, photographer, you are in control of your work. If it is right in your head then it is. They are the ones who are wrong.


Hope that some people found this useful. I know it was a negative post however someone has to tell it like it is. Of course there are amazing things that happen at university. Some people find love,find the perfect career, make friends for life and so on and so forth. All in all hope this was instructive about what you might face if you're planning on doing an art course at university.

Many thanks.




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

June & July Favorites

Morphe x Jaclyn Hill Palette Review & Swatches

Make Up Forever Starlit Palette. Review & Swatches.